Los Angeles− On August 1, Bonhams California and Western Paintings and Sculpture sale will offer a selection of over 150 works spanning the late 19th through mid-20th century by noted artists such as E. Charlton Fortune, William Wendt, Elmer Wachtel, and John Marshall Gamble, among others. Works by the California Impressionist Edgar Payne will be well-represented in the sale, including sweeping views from mountaineering trips in the European Swiss Alps as well as the Eastern Sierras. A concentration of historic and contemporary Western works will also be on offer by such artists as Maynard Dixon, Frank McCarthy and Ed Mell.
Additional highlights include:
- Frank McCarthy's "Apache Horse Thieves" (estimate: $20,000-30,000)
- Ed Mell's "Chinle Dusk" (estimate: $25,000-35,000)
- Edgar Payne's "A Rider with Packhorses in the Sierras; A Sierra Lake" (double-sided) (estimate: $120,000-160,000)
- William Wendt's "Winter, Mt. Rainier, Paradise Valley" (estimate: $70,000-90,000)
- E. Charlton Fortune's "Still life with narcissus and anemone" (estimate: $80,000-120,000)
- Elmer Wachtel's "Santa Paula Valley" (estimate: $30,000-50,000)