The highlights of the sale:
- Max Beckmann, Hölle der Vögel (Birds’ Hell) which sold for a world record price of £36,005,000 / $45,834,362 / €40,865,674
- Pablo Picasso, Femme écrivant (Marie-Thérèse), which realised £34,885,000 / $44,408,602 / €39,594,474
- Vincent van Gogh, Le moissonneur (d’après Millet), which achieved £24,245,000 / $30,863,883 / €27,518,074
*3 lots over £20 million*
*63% of lots sold above or within estimate*
*3 artist auction records*
- Max Beckmann, Hölle der Vögel (Birds’ Hell), £36,005,000 / $45,834,362 / €40,865,674
- Georges Vantongerloo, Composition dans le carré avec couleurs jaune-vert-bleu-indigo-orangé, £1,085,000 / $1,381,205 / €1,231,475
- Hannah Höch, Frau und Saturn, £1,085,000 / $1,381,205 / €1,231,475
Please find the top ten, artist records, and price lists attached.
For further sale insights from Christie’s Global President and auctioneer Jussi Pylkkänen, Jay Vincze, Head of Impressionist & Modern Art London and Giovanna Bertazzoni, Deputy Chairman of Impressionist & Modern Art, please visit the Facebook Live video stream of our post-sale Press Conference.
For further commentary on the sale please see our online report.
Christie’s, the world’s leading art business, had global auction, private and digital sales in first half of 2017 that totalled £2.35 billion / $3 billion. Christie’s is a name and place that speaks of extraordinary art, unparalleled service and expertise, as well as international glamour. Christie’s offers around 350 auctions annually in over 80 categories, including all areas of fine and decorative arts, jewellery, photographs, collectibles, wine, and more. Prices range from $200 to over $100 million. Christie’s also has a long and successful history conducting private sales for its clients in all categories, with emphasis on Post-War & Contemporary, Impressionist & Modern, Old Masters and Jewellery.
Alongside regular sales online, Christie’s has a global presence in 46 countries, with 10 salerooms around the world including in London, New York, Paris, Geneva, Milan, Amsterdam, Dubai, Zürich, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.